Payroll for UK Businesses Operating in NZ

UK based Businesses - KeyLink can set up and manage your payroll in NZ

Are you looking at entering the NZ market? KeyLink can provide you with a payroll solution for your UK based business to pay staff in New Zealand.

KeyLink has helped many UK businesses handle all their payroll responsibilities in NZ, so we understand how to make the NZ requirements easy for businesses in the United Kingdom.


Is the NZ income tax system different to the UK?

NZ uses a similar PAYE (Pay as You Earn) system to the UK. KeyLink works closely with NZ’s Inland Revenue Department (IRD) to make sure that all of our client's taxation obligations are met. The IRD is the New Zealand equivalent of the HMRC.

KeyLink will register your overseas company with the IRD as an employer. Once this is done you won’t have to deal with the IRD for any payroll related matters, as we can handle them on your behalf.

FAQs for UK based companies who need to pay staff in New Zealand:  

Do UK based companies need to provide P45 or P60’s?

No, employers file PAYE details with the IRD each month. Employees are able to register for and use Inland Revenue’s Online Services (myIR). myIR provides access for the employee to their personal details, pay, PAYE, Student Loan, KiwiSaver and Child Support information. This includes the amounts paid in the current tax year.

Is there a National Insurance Contribution?

No equivalent to NIC exists in NZ.

Are there any other payments made through Payroll?

ACC, Child Support, Student Loan and KiwiSaver are all paid as deductions from employees through payroll:

ACC (Accident Compensation Corporation) provides no fault accident insurance to all New Zealanders, permanent residents and visitors. It is paid as a fixed percentage of earnings.

Child Support is collected from non-custodial parents and to support their children.

Student Loans repayments are paid with PAYE.

KiwiSaver is a voluntary work-based savings initiative. Employees need to contribute 3% of earnings of employees who are members of KiwiSaver.

How do I ensure that NZ’s Minimum Employment Rights are met?

The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) enforces NZ’s employment rights. The Department of Labour (DoL) has been integrated into MBIE and is the equivalent of the Department of Work and Pensions. KeyLink payroll staff can let you know of all your employer obligations and assist you to meet them.

Do I need to provide Payslips?

Payslips aren’t required by law in NZ, however it is common practise for organisations to provide them. We can easily take care of this for you, whether you want an email, mail, or give the employees online access.

Do I have to create a bank account in NZ to pay my Employees and IRD?

No, you do not need a NZ bank account. KeyLink gives you four easy ways to make your paycheck payments to staff in NZ:

  1. We send you a report and you make the payment.
  2. We email you a payments file to upload into your NZ Online Banking system.
  3. We submit a file to ASB Management Services who process the payment directly from your NZ bank account to your employee’s accounts, or
  4. We operate a Commercial Trust Account on your behalf. We require cleared funds 24 hours before employee payments are made.

Do you have any further questions?

Don’t hesitate to contact us by email or phone. For urgent attention after hours you can call +64 27 405 0023. Your call will be answered by a professional payroll officer, not a call centre.

We can meet all of your payroll needs for paying staff in NZ. We have the local knowledge and experience to ensure that you get the best service whatever your business requirements.

Contact us for information and a free quote on your payroll services!